This year’s Summer Reading Challenge from The Reading Agency in partnership with local libraries. This year it’s called ‘Gadgeteers‘, and it runs from 1st July until 30th September, and children age 4 – 12 read 6 library books. They can also read eBooks on the libraries’ free BorrowBox app, or listen to stories on BorrowBox or library CDs. Along the way they collect stickers and other prizes for each book that they read, and they get a certificate and medal once they’ve completed the challenge.
Joining ‘Gadgeteers’ is easy and free of charge – children just have to complete a registration form when they visit the library, and then we’ll hand them a membership pack to get them started. They can start and finish at any time during the next three months, and even do the challenge more than once if they want to. There are no restrictions on which library books they read – they have a completely free choice, as long as they are books borrowed from the library.
As well as being great fun, the Summer Reading Challenge also plays a major role in keeping children’s reading skills sharp during the long summer break. Schools report that the progress children make in reading during term time can often go into decline during the holidays if children don’t read on a regular basis, so don’t delay. Bring your children along to the library and get them signed up. If they aren’t already library members, we can sign them up for this too. Joining the library is also a quick and easy process, and free of charge. Library members can borrow up to 20 books or CDs at a time, as well as 6 eBooks and 6 eAudio on the BorrowBox app, use the Internet on our library computers, and get free access to several digital resources including newspaper archives, music streaming, language learning and storytelling.
Events and activities for children at Blackburn Central Library (01254) 661221
- Mon 25th Jul, 10.30 – 11.30 am, KNex / Meccano, age 4+
- Wed 27th Jul, 2.30 – 3.20 pm, Mad Science experimental fun, age 5+, tickets £1
- Thu 28th Jul, 10.30 – 11.30 am, Read, Rhythm & Rhyme, age under 5
- Mon 1st Aug, 10.30 – 11.30 am, Kite making, age 5+
- Tue 2nd Aug, 2.30 – 3.30 pm, Story character street art competition, all ages
- Thu 4th Aug, 10.30 am – 12 pm, Creative writing workshop, age 9 – 11
- Mon 8th Aug, 10.30 – 11.30 am, Junk modelling, age 5+
- Thu 11th Aug, 1.30 – 2.30 pm, Zoolab, come and meet the animals, age 5+, tickets £1
- Mon 15th Aug, 10.30 – 11.30 am, Sewing a puppet, age 5 – 7
- Thu 18th Aug, 10.30 – 11.30 am, Build an aqueduct bridge challenge, age 7+
- Mon 22nd Aug, 10.30 – 11.30 am, Brilliant Bear Day, age under 5
- Thu 25th Aug, 10.30 – 11.30 am, Read, Rhythm & Rhyme, age under 5