19 July remains target date for Step 4
The new Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Sajid Javid has announced in the House of Commons that “with the numbers heading the right direction — all while we protect more and more people each day – 19 July remains our target date [for the restrictions to our freedoms to come to an end]”.
Other key points from his statement to the House include:
- Since the government took the decision to pause step 4 until 19 July, they’re using this extra time to protect as many people as we can. When the government made that decision on June 14, over 4.3 million over 40s had had a first dose but not a second. That’s now down to 3.2 million people over 40.
- The Government’s aim is that around two-thirds of all adults in this country will have had both doses by 19 July.
- As of this weekend, more than half of adults under 30 have taken up the chance to be vaccinated.
- The latest modelling from Public Health England shows the vaccines have saved over 27,000 [27,243] lives and have prevented over 7 million people from getting COVID-19.
- We do know that after a single dose of vaccine the effectiveness is lower against this new Delta variant at around a 33% reduction in symptomatic disease. But 2 doses of the vaccine are just as effective against hospital admission with the Delta variant, compared to the Alpha variant.
- The jabs are making a difference in our hospitals too. In January, people over 65 who were vaccinated earlier in our programme made up the vast majority of hospital admissions. The latest data show that group now makes up less than a third.
SME Brexit Support Fund Deadline
The deadline for the SME Brexit Support Fund is this Wednesday, 30 June. The Fund provides businesses with up to £2000 to help with training or professional advice. You can use the grant for training on:
- how to complete customs declarations
- how to manage customs processes and use customs software and systems
- specific import and export related aspects including VAT, excise and rules of origin
You can find more information here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/grants-to-help-small-and-medium-sized-businesses-new-to-importing-or-exporting