BwD Council is seeking to extend the current Public Space Protection Order which is in place covering the Blackburn BID area, for a period of 3 years. A consultation period is now underway and will end on 16th November 2023. As you may be aware, a PSPO prohibits specified activities in a designated public area which constitute anti-social behaviour. It can also require certain things to be done by people engage in particular anti-social activities within the defined area. Breach of a PSPO without reasonable excuse is a criminal offence. The PSPO restrictions for Blackburn town centre including the retail parks are:
1. No persons shall consume alcohol or have an open alcohol container within the Prohibition Area after having been requested by an Authorised Officer to cease consumption of alcohol or hand over the container (unless in an otherwise lawful premises).
2. No persons shall ingest, inject, smoke or otherwise use intoxicating substances within the Prohibition Area.
3. No persons shall urinate or defecate in any public place (other than a public toilet) within the Prohibition Area.
4. No persons shall, whilst in the Prohibition Area, place themselves in a position that implies they are begging for money or attempting to solicit.
5. No persons shall act or incite others to act in an anti-social manner likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to any person within a public space within the Prohibition Area.
Please find attached a copy of the current public notice as well as the draft extension order which outlines the conditions and includes a map indicating the locations affected.