The Prime Minister has hosted a press conference on the day of moving to Step 4 of the roadmap out of lockdown. Below are some of the key points of what he said:
- Boris Johnson reminded everyone that the pandemic is far from over, and said that that is why it is essential to keep up the system of Test, Trace and Isolate. People identified as contacts of cases are at least five times more likely to be infected than others, and even if they have been vaccinated there is a significant risk that they can still pass the disease on. Therefore, the continuing sacrifice of those who are being asked to isolate remains important to allow the rest of society to get back to something like normality.
- He confirmed we will be moving on August the 16th to a system of testing rather than isolation for those who are double vaccinated by which time they hope that the wall of immunity in our country will be even higher.
- So far 96% of over 50s and 83% of 30-50 year olds have taken up the offer in England. But there are still 35 per cent of 18-30 year olds – 3 million people –who are completely unvaccinated, so the Prime Minister said that ‘some of life’s most important pleasures and opportunities are likely to be increasingly dependent on vaccination’. There are already countries that require you to be double jabbed as a condition of quarantine free travel and that list seems likely to grow. And he said the government is also concerned – as they are in other countries – by the continuing risk posed by nightclubs.
- The Prime Minister said he doesn’t want to have to close nightclubs again – as they have elsewhere – but it does means nightclubs need to do the socially responsible thing and make use of the NHS Covid Pass which shows proof of vaccination, a recent negative test or natural immunity – as a means of entry. He added that the governmentreserve the right to mandate certification at any point, if it is necessary to reduce transmission.
- He went on to say that he serves notice now, that by the end of September – when all over 18s will have had the chance to be double jabbed – the government are planning to make full vaccination the condition of entry to nightclubs and other venues where large crowds gather. Proof of a negative test will no longer be sufficient.
You can find the full statement here: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-statement-at-coronavirus-press-conference-19-july-2021