Blackburn Market’s food traders received hundreds of orders in less than 24 hours, when a new online ordering system was launched in record time.
When the market took the decision to close to the public as part of the increased restrictions around social distancing, they wanted to find a solution to keep essential food traders able to work and get fresh food out to the public.
In less than 24 hours, with the support of local business Square Cactus, a new e-commerce store was launched with Greens Butchers, Whittaker’s Butchers, Mayers Fishmongers and Scott Stewart Fruit & Veg stalls. Tom Wood Butchers, who had already been building up a successful online service, continued his great service delivering both locally and nationally too.
Dave Shorrock from Greens Butchers said: “We launched the system at about 4pm the day after we closed and by 9am the next morning we had hundreds of orders. It was an incredible response from the local community but also a daunting proposition to get so many orders out so quickly.”
In order to get enough products ready, a team of people had to create a production line to make Fruit and Veg Packs and the butchers and fishmongers had to work flat out to get enough supplies and turn around the orders.
Teams of delivery drivers drove across the borough to get the supplies out, but it took 5 full days, including a Sunday, to get everything that had been ordered in the first 24 hours out to customers!
Dave continued: “It was great to see so much demand for this service and support for our local market.
“Five traders are still working, taking telephone & web orders and delivering locally. There are plans to bring the online system back as soon as we can. Traders have delivered more than 1,000 orders to customers over the last couple of weeks.”
Feedback from customers has been very positive:
- “Absolutely over the moon with my order. Thanks so much I’ll definitely be making this a regular thing.” – Sharon M
- “Just so grateful you are all there for our Community! The applause last night as far as I’m concerned was for the NHS and ALL key workers who continue to provide us with all our needs!” – Pat J
- “You are the best market in Lancashire and know how to look after your customers well done keep up the good work.” – Tony D
- “Just received my order very impressed lovely people delivering and meat nicely packed. Thank you, I will be ordering again.” – Jackie S
- “Thank you for my fruit and veg delivery. So appreciative of this service. Everything looks super fresh and healthy and delivered with a smile.” – Kerry B
Councillor Phil Riley, Executive Member for Growth and Development, said: “Markets are at the heart of our towns and have been part of the fresh food supply chain for centuries. It is clear there is a massive demand for an online version of the market, and we will be working on solutions over the coming weeks.
“We have seen the demand and, once we can be sure we can offer a reliable and efficient system, we hope the local community will continue to support this new venture. It’s good to see a real positive for our independent market traders and this will help them build a bigger and brighter future, once we start getting back to normal.”
Details of Blackburn Market traders:
- Greens Butchers – 01254 669131
- Whittakers Butchers – 01254 669137
- Mayers Fishmongers – 01254 669140
- Scott Stewart Fruit & Veg – 07821 200639
- Tom Wood Artisan Butcher www.tomwoodartisanbutcher.co.uk