Extra lockdown restrictions in Blackburn

The government have issued some further guidance regarding the extra restrictions in Blackburn.

Some key points are as follows:-

The affected areas (wards) of Blackburn with Darwen are:-

  • Audley & Queen’s Park
  • Bastwell & Daisyfield
  • Billinge & Beardwood
  • Blackburn Central (town centre and surrounding)
  • Little Harwood & Whitebirk
  • Roe Lee
  • Shear Brow & Corporation Park
  • Wensley Fold

The following settings alongside the existing business closures must not open in any of the affected areas:

  • casinos
  • skating rinks
  • bowling alleys
  • indoor play areas, including soft play areas
  • exhibition centres and conference halls

The Government advise that the following settings and activities should not reopen or restart in the affected areas:

  • indoor performances (even with a social distanced audience)
  • close contact services, which are any treatments on the face such as eyebrow threading or make-up application

In Blackburn with Darwen (as per the areas affected above), the following must also remain closed:

  • indoor gyms
  • indoor fitness and dance studios
  • indoor sports courts and facilities
  • indoor swimming pools, including indoor facilities at water parks

If you live in these areas, you can still visit any open premises, but should avoid socialising with people you do not live with (or have formed a support bubble with).

In the affected areas, you should not:

  • socialise with people you do not live with in indoor public venues – such as pubs, restaurants, cafes, shops, places of worship, community centres, leisure and entertainment venues, or visitor attractions
  • socialise with people you do not live with in other outdoor public venues such as parks

In the affected areas, people can still come inside your home or garden for specific purposes, set out in law:

  • where everyone in the gathering lives together or is in the same support bubble
  • to attend a birth at the mother’s request
  • to visit a person who is dying (the visitor can be someone the dying person lives with, a close family member, friend or, if none of those is visiting, anyone else)
  • to fulfil a legal obligation
  • for work purposes, or for the provision of voluntary or charitable services (see guidance on working safely in other people’s homes)
  • for the purposes of education or training
  • for the purposes of childcare provided by a registered provider
  • to provide emergency assistance
  • to enable one or more persons in the gathering to avoid injury or illness or to escape a risk of harm
  • to facilitate a house move
  • to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person
  • to continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children where the children do not live in the same household as their parents, or one of their parents.

If you operate a business or organise events within the affected areas you should take steps to ensure people do not interact with people they do not live with, in line with COVID-19 Secure guidance.  The guidance states steps include:-

  • informing customers of guidance through signage or notices at the point of booking or on arrival
  • ensuring staff are familiar with the guidance, and if any local restrictions are in place
  • asking customers for verbal confirmation of the number of households in their party at the point of arrival
  • Reconfiguring indoor and outdoor seating and tables to discourage large groups and maintain social distancing guidelines between customers and households

In terms of travel:

  • You should try not to share a car with those outside your household or social bubble for all areas affected.
  • You should not travel outside of your area to meet people other than those in your support bubble, in their homes or gardens, or indoor public places.
  • You can still go on holiday outside of your area, but you should only do this with people you live with (or have formed a support bubble with). 

Weddings & Funerals:

In the affected areas a maximum of 20 people should attend these events. This should be limited to close family of the people getting married or the person who has died, or people who live(d) or formed a support bubble with them. A close friend can attend a funeral only if there are no household members or immediate families.  Wedding celebrations should not take place in any of the affected areas – unless they are limited to people who live together (or are in the same support bubble), or a group of up to 6 people outdoors.  People living outside of these areas can travel to these areas to attend a wedding, civil partnership or funeral, but they should not meet with another household in a private home or garden.

Going to work

People living inside and outside of the affected areas can continue to travel in and out for work. Workplaces must implement COVID-19 secure guidance and stronger enforcement will be undertaken in affected areas.


  • You can continue to use registered childcare provision, including childminders and holiday childcare providers. 
  • You can also continue to employ nannies 
  • Friends or family who do not live with you cannot visit your home to help with childcare unless they are part of your support bubble. 
  • The only people who can help you with childcare in your home are people you live with, people in your support bubble, or registered childcare providers including nannies.
  • Children of parents who are separated are allowed to move between households. The law includes an exemption to allow parents and children who are not part of the same household to continue an arrangement for access or contact to each other.

You may attend a mosque, church, synagogue, temple or other place or worship, but you should socially distance from people outside of your household. This means maintaining a distance of 2 metres, or 1 metre with mitigations (such as wearing face coverings).  If possible, prayer or religious services should take place outdoors.

©2022 Blackburn BID

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?