Blackburn with Darwen Council have published their Local Plan 2021 – 2037 for consultation. The Local Plan includes the Blackburn Town Centre East Framework / Masterplan.
The Local Plan is a local guide to what can be built where, shaping infrastructure investments and determining the future pattern of development and growth in the borough.
The Planned Growth in the borough is based around 6 key ideas below:
- The Blackburn Growth Axis: an economic framework linking strategic development sites and key growth corridors across the Borough and beyond;
- The Darwen Town Investment Plan: a series of major improvements for Darwen supported by the Darwen Town Deal;
- A North East Blackburn Strategic Housing Site: a new neighbourhood on the edge of the town;
- A South East Blackburn Strategic Employment Site: to attract jobs and investment at a key motorway location;
- Blackburn Town Centre Major Development Sites: a unique opportunity to boost the vitality of Blackburn town centre; and
- The Infrastructure Delivery Plan: an important series of interventions to improve infrastructure for all, such as roads, schools and health facilities.
The Town Centre East Framework / Masterplan documents can be found here:
- Blackburn-Town-Centre-East-Development-Framework-2021sm.pdf (blackburn-darwen.org.uk)
- Blackburn-TC-East-Concept-Strategy-and-Character-Study-Landsca-sm.pdf (blackburn-darwen.org.uk)
The Plan includes:
- Identified potential sites for growth in the town centre as the Former Thwaites Site and The Former Markets Site, being key to helping boost the vitality of the town centre, providing a mix of retail (within the defined Primary Shopping Area), employment and residential uses.
- A presumption in favour of development for proposals for commercial or other main town centre uses (including residential-led mixed use) within the defined town centres will be applied.
- Proposals that may include retail use (Class E(a)) will be directed to the Primary Shopping Area in the first instance (identified on the Policies Map as ‘Renewal – Town Centre Primary Shopping Area’) through the application of the sequential test.
- New development in town centres should (where applicable) seek to demonstrate how the proposal contributes to enhancing the following key attributes of the centre:
a. the overall attraction of the centre to local communities;
b. the accessibility from/to the centre and within it; and
c. the amenity of the local environment within the town centre.
- Blackburn and Darwen Town Centres will be the focus for all major, and a significant proportion of minor, commercial development over the life of the Local Plan;
Please take a look at the plans and send your comments / feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 18th March 2022
There is also an exhibition available in Blackburn Market near the Church Street entrance, and 2 Local Plan consultation events will be held as follows:
Two Local Plan consultation events will be held on:
- Tuesday 1st March 2022 at Blackburn Central Library, Town Hall Street 12-7pm
- Wednesday 2nd March 2022 at Darwen Youth Centre, Knott Street 12-7pm.
Officers from various Council departments will be in attendance at the events to discuss any specific issues you have on the plans.