Information was released this week about the ‘Eat Out to Help Out’ scheme announced yesterday by the Chancellor. The scheme is intended to incentivise customers to eat in restaurants or other eating establishments by giving them a discount which can then be claimed back from the government. The scheme is UK wide and customers will be able to see who is taking part on www.gov.uk.
We will also be promoting businesses taking part on the Experience Blackburn App and BID website.
If you are an ‘eat-out’ business you can register for the scheme from 13 July 2020 until 31 August. You can find out how to register as part of the scheme here:- https://www.gov.uk/guidance/register-your-establishment-for-the-eat-out-to-help-out-scheme
You can use the Eat Out to Help Out Scheme to offer a discount to diners and encourage them to eat at your restaurant or establishment:
- all day, every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 3 to 31 August 2020
- to offer a 50% discount, up to a maximum of £10 per person, to diners for food or non-alcoholic drinks to eat or drink in
- to claim the money back from the government
There is no limit to the number of times customers can use the offer during the period of the scheme. Your customers cannot get a discount for someone who is not eating or drinking. Alcohol and service charges are excluded from the offer.
Eligible establishments are those in which food is sold for immediate on-premises consumption. You can register if your establishment:
- sells food for immediate consumption on the premises
- provides its own dining area or shares a dining area with another establishment for eat-in meals
- was registered as a food business with the relevant local authority on or before 7 July
This could include: restaurants; cafés; public houses that serve food; hotel restaurants; restaurants and cafes within tourist attractions, holiday sites and leisure facilities; dining rooms within members’ clubs; workplace and school canteens.
The discount can be applied to food and/or non-alcoholic drink purchased for immediate consumption on premises, up to a maximum discount of £10 per diner (inclusive of VAT). There is no minimum spend requirement.
You should wait until you’re registered before you offer discounts to your customers. You cannot offer discounts before 3 August. For each day you’re using the scheme, you must keep records of the:
- total number of people who have used the scheme in your establishment
- total value of transactions under the scheme
- total amount of discounts you’ve given
The service you’ll use to claim reimbursements will be available on 7 August 2020 and will close on 30 September. You must wait 7 days from registration to make your first claim and HMRC will pay eligible claims within 5 working days. You will be able to submit claims on a weekly basis.
You can find more information and answers to questions you may have here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/get-more-information-about-the-eat-out-to-help-out-scheme/get-more-information-about-the-eat-out-to-help-out-scheme