The Government guidance for working safely has been updated to include 7 Priority Actions businesses should be taking:
Priority actions to take – what businesses need to do to protect staff and customers.
Seven steps to protect yourself, your staff and your customers during coronavirus.
- Complete a COVID-19 risk assessment. Share it with all your staff. Find out how to do a risk assessment.
- Clean more often. Increase how often you clean surfaces, especially those that are being touched a lot. Ask your staff and your customers to use hand sanitiser and wash their hands frequently.
- Ask your customers to wear face coverings in any indoor space or where required to do so by law. That is especially important if your customers are likely to be around people they do not normally meet. Some exemptions apply. Check when to wear one, exemptions, and how to make your own.
- Make sure everyone is social distancing. Make it easy for everyone to do so by putting up signs or introducing a one way system that your customers can follow.
- Increase ventilation by keeping doors and windows open where possible and running ventilation systems at all times.
- Take part in NHS Test and Trace by keeping a record of all your customers for 21 days. From 18 September, this will be enforced in law. Some exemptions apply. Check Maintaining records of staff, customers and visitors to support NHS Test and Trace for details.
- Turn people with coronavirus symptoms away. If a staff member (or someone in their household) or a customer has a persistent cough, a high temperature or has lost their sense of taste or smell, they should be isolating.
There are also additional ‘things to be aware of’ in certain sectors:
- Restaurants, pubs, bars and takeaways: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/restaurants-offering- Close contact services: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/close-contact-services
- Gyms and fitness facilities: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/providers-of-grassroots-sport-and-gym-leisure-facilities
- Shops and branches: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/shops-and-branches
- Performing Arts: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/performing-arts
- Offices and Contact centres: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/offices-and-contact-centres
- Heritage locations: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/heritage-locations
- Vehicles: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/vehicles
- Hotels and guest accommodation: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/hotels-and-other-guest-accommodation