As part of BwD’s Breastfeeding Friendly Borough work supported by BwD’s Food Resilience Alliance, Blackburn BID are offering two 1 hour bitesize awareness sessions focussing on infant feeding which is being delivered by Donna Butler, Baby Friendly Team Specialist and Lactation Consultant.
The session is aimed at everyone across all Council departments, VCFS organisations, workplaces, educational establishments and community settings.
It is our ambition is to deliver this training to as many people who live, work and go to school in BwD to promote and protect breastfeeding and give our babies the best start in life.
The sessions will be delivered via Microsoft Teams and will take place on:
Monday 21st September 10-11am and Tuesday 29th September 2-3pm
To register for one of the dates please email firstname.lastname@example.org and she will send you the link for the relevant session. Please circulate this opportunity across your networks.
Aims of session:
To provide awareness of current evidence around breastfeeding / formula / bottle feeding/ responsive feeding and moving onto solid foods.
To update on why close and loving relationships for families with young babies / children is important.
To ensure everyone is aware of local guidelines and signposting.
At the end of the session the participant will be knowledgeable / confident on
- UNICEF Baby Friendly Initiative and what this means locally
- Breastfeeding and health – why human milk and breastfeeding matters for babies, mothers and the population as a whole
- What parents using formula milk need to know (safe preparation etc)
- Feeding and relationship building (including brain development)
- When to move onto solid foods
- Societal barriers to breastfeeding / cultural influences
- Compassionate care and sensitive communication
- How to access support and information