Blackburn businesses value marketing and promotional events that increase visitors into the town.
We will work in partnership with a range of organisations to develop a calendar of events to attract visitors into the town centre.
As a result of the consultation process there is a demand for an increased security presence which includes providing a retail radio to every shop, a visible security presence in the town centre and access to retail crime initiatives such as Pubwatch and DISC.
The award-winning planting and maintenance of Blackburn’s green spaces and flower displays are a source of great pride to businesses. The BID will continue to work in partnership with Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council and other stakeholders to uphold and improve the standard of our planting displays, barrier baskets and flower beds around the town centre.
- Continue to develop relationships with partners, including the BBAC (Blackburn Businesses Against Crime)
- Create a zero-tolerance approach to begging in the town centre, encouraging visitors not to give directly to people on the street but to organised charities
- Complete and promote the new joined up CCTV system covering the BID area
- Provide support for the police by directing funding and resources where best utilised within the BID area
- Deploy targeted security to tackle low level seasonal anti-social behaviour incidents and deter shoplifting
- Promote the new Pubwatch radio service to support growing efforts to regenerate a night-time economy
- Plan and deliver a range of high quality events in partnership with a range of organisations to promote Blackburn as a vibrant town, to encourage footfall all year round.
- Continue to provide a dedicated communications function to support the promotion of positive messages about the town centre to attract visitors, new businesses and residents via a range of channels including PR, social media, advertising, branding and marketing support.
- Target visitors from the wider area by continuing to work collaboratively with a range of organisations & partners.
- Produce regular newsletters to encourage participation in working groups, raise awareness and additional income through voluntary levy payers.
- Promote the developing evening trade & night-time economy.
- Explore opportunities for cross-sector networking events, consolidating existing partnerships and forging new ones
- Ensure the continued maintenance of award-winning planters in communal areas across the town. We have received a large amount of positive feedback from visitors about the positive impact this scheme has made to the town centre.
- Improve the appearance of empty shops through associated campaigns and events in order to reduce unattractive areas on the edges of the main shopping areas.
- Continue to work closely with property owners to improve the maintenance and upkeep of retail units.
- Provide support and advice to resolve issues around environmental concerns such as litter, fly-tipping, street cleansing, blocked drains, flooding, noise and trespassing.