The Bureau Blackburn are looking for people to feature on the big screen – well, projection – for this year’s Blackburn Festival of Light virtual parade.
This November, Blackburn BID, is association with the Arts Council England funding, will be bringing Blackburn town hall to life in a COVID-secure event.
The Bureau, who run the stunning light parade each year, want people to submit one minute videos of you and your family taking part in their parade activities.
If you want to take part, then here’s everything you need to know and what you need to do:
- Videos: Check out their series of videos on our Youtube Channel and learn how to make your own light up poi and use them, learn a parade dance routine, make a lantern or a shadow puppet show, pick up some drumming techniques or create a stunning light up costume – there’s loads on there to help you get in the swing of things this year and something for everyone to do!
- Pick up a kit – make a costume or a lantern which you can use as part of your video. Kits MUST be pre-booked – order yours on our website. Pre-ordered kits can be collected from Blackburn Museum, Blackburn Visitors centre and The Bureau Centre for the Arts. Basic lantern and costume kits are free, though we are inviting people to ‘pay one forwards’ if you can afford to so we can send out more kits to people who can’t afford it. Lighting and decoration add on kits are also available for the lanterns. If you are part of a school or a group that is still allowed to meet and want a larger number of kits please let us know by email firstname.lastname@example.org Our ‘How to make a lantern’ guide is here
- Get Inspired – Follow our TikTok for short films made by artists and creatives to give you some ideas or use our hashtag and sound: #BFOL2020virtualparade and make your own videos to join in. Don’t forget to upload copies to our website (see step 5) if you want to be in with a chance of them being projected in the final piece.
Please note, Tiktok videos need to be in portrait and less than 1 minute.
- Get creative – make yourself a costume, shadow puppet or a lantern and film yourself and your family or your creations in an illuminated way! Do a dance, whirl some poi, show us your lanterns, get dressed up in your light up costumes and give us a twirl, play your drums or do a shadow puppet show. Whatever you fancy doing, we want to see your light up videos. Please keep to 1 minute max, landscape and portrait are both acceptable, as is mobile phone footage. Try and make your videos as light filled as possible – be creative – use fairy lights, desk lamps, torches, tablets or devices with a coloured screen turned up bright, and our kits, but try to avoid using your main living room/bedroom/kitchen lights. We want to be able to see you and your fancy light up clothing, not what’s behind you – more tips here.
- Send us your films. This is really easy to do through our website. Just fill in the form and upload your film. Once you submit they’ll come straight through to us. Don’t forget to tick the permissions box or we can’t use your footage. Limited filming slots with a professional filmmaker are also available at The Bureau Centre for the Arts for family bubbles – please contact email@example.com.
- Films need to be with The Bureau as soon as possible, but by 2nd November at the latest, 6th November for groups and schools if you notify them in advance.
- Sit back and wait! They can’t promise all films they are sent will be included in the final selection for the video projection piece, but they will also be releasing them in their virtual event on their Facebook page. The projections run from 12th – 26th November 2020.