Blackburn Town Centre brings the past to life this weekend as part of a national celebration, Heritage Open Days. The event gives people a chance to see hidden places and try out new experiences – all of which are FREE.
Blackburn has a host of activities including Hard Hat Tours of the Blackburn Exchange, interactive sessions for children in the magnificent setting of Blackburn Cathedral and guided tours of the town with the Blackburn BID’s very own Mr. Mason.
Mr Mason’s tours began as part of Blackburn Business Improvement District’s Street Fair programme and have proved to be very popular. Dressed in Victorian costume, Mr. Mason will guide visitors around Blackburn, pointing out many items of interest that you may not have come across before. He will regale you with stories of the glory days of the town when it was one of the wealthiest in the country.
Other events include an exhibition of the library’s archives of photographs, the opening of Blackburn Quaker Meeting House, a display of municipal buses with free rides and a challenge to artists to “Paint the Town…”.
A full list of all the events and activities are available on the Visit Blackburn website here http://www.visitblackburn.co.uk/whats-on/heritage-open-days-2017 or by visiting the Heritage Open Days website here https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/
Some of these events require booking, so visitors are encouraged to check all the details online before visiting to avoid disappointment.
- Age UK Advice and Information Service new digital support service 10th January 2018
- Lighting up Blackburn with the spirit of Christmas 18th December 2017
- ‘Get here early!’ is the message to visitors coming into Blackburn for the annual Festival of Light on Saturday 14th December 2017
- The Mall Blackburn donates dream day to Wish Centre residents 5th December 2017
- X Factor Homecoming Show in Blackburn for Grace Davis 28th November 2017